History of the faculty

Faculty of Architecture of Saint Petersburg State University of Architecture and Civil Engineering continues traditions of the Architecture College established in affiliation with the Academy of Arts in 1830. In 1842, the College was merged with the College of Civil Engineers (established in 1832) into the Civil Engineering College that laid the basis of the Institute of Civil Engineers (established in 1882).

In the 20th century, the Faculty of Architecture was headed by many outstanding professors and architects who produced a great impact on the theoretical and practical development of Russian architecture and improvement of the methodology of training of architects-to-be. The training embraced architectural design of residential, public, and industrial buildings and urban design engineering. A distinctive feature of training at the Faculty was its close connection with practical architectural activities at the account of engaging in the educational process practitioners working in city design studios.

In the post-war period, in addition to training architects specializing in the design of unique buildings and structures, the faculty started training urban architects capable to meet the needs of the intensively expanding construction industry. Leading departments of the Faculty participated in the development of many aspects in the science of architecture.

Graduates of the Faculty worked on the design of the first Leningrad metro stations: “Avtovo,” “Baltiiskaya,” “Narvskaya,” “Kirovskiy Zavod,” “Technologicheskiy Institute.” Other generations of architects created stations constructed in the later periods: “Yelizarovskaya,” “Moskovskaya”, “Polytekhnicheskaya,” “Ploshchad Alexandra Nevskogo,” “Grazhdansky Prospect,” “Gorkovskaya,” etc. 

In the second half of the 20th century, alumni of the Faculty participated in the construction of such city landmarks as the Oktyabrsky Grand Concert Hall, Jubileiny Sports Hall, St. Petersburg Sports and Concert Complex, the Victory Square Memorial with the Monument to Heroic Defenders of Leningrad, Pribaltiyskaya Hotel, etc. Faculty alumni lead construction development of new residential districts of Leningrad and then St. Petersburg in the south-west of the city and in Basil Island.

Faculty alumni served as Chief Architects in such cities as Tallinn (Estonia), Riga (Latvia), Tashkent (Uzbekistan), Baku (Azerbaijan), Bishkek (Kyrgyzstan), Dushanbe (Tajikistan). 

Tens of faculty graduates became People’s Architects of the USSR, Honored Architects of USSR republics, Members of the Academy of Arts.





Faculties

  • Faculty of environmental engineering and municipal services
    Faculty of environmental engineering and municipal services
  • Faculty of automobile and road-building
    Faculty of automobile and road-building
  • Faculty of economics and management
    Faculty of economics and management
  • Faculty of architecture
    Faculty of architecture
  • Faculty of civil engineering
    Faculty of civil engineering
  • Faculty of forensic investigation and law in construction and transport
    Faculty of forensic investigation and law in construction and transport
Contact us:
Name:
e-mail:
Message:
Enter captcha: Refresh image

Refresh image