History

1832

The College of Civil Engineers was established to train Russian bridge and road civil engineers.

1947-1960

The Faculty of Automobile and Road Building was instituted. It comprised two backbone departments: the Department of Highway Design, Construction, and Exploitation and the Department of Bridge Construction. This gave a start for a new stage of bridge and road engineers training.

Specialists of the new departments inspected and audited the state of roads and aerodromes; developed regulatory documents for their design and exploitation; participated in the developing of new technologies for the production of original bitumen-concrete mixes and new types of road structural layers and dressing, as well as the system of road maintenance and auditing.

Broad-scale researches had been undertaken on the extension of servicing period and strengthening of wooden bridges over major rivers (Volkhov, Dnepr, Velikaya, etc.). Department employees contributed to the design of permanent bridges over the largest rivers and model projects of assembled reinforced-concrete bridges. Wide-ranging studies on the suspension bridges were launched. Department specialists were engaged in the researches on the extension of engineering structures longevity.

1960-s

The departments were renamed to the Department of Motor Roads and the Department of Bridges and Tunnels with prominent specialists in road and bridge construction as their heads. The Department of Bridges was focused on the study and technical diagnostics of the status of highway and city bridges and the forecast of their life prediction. Faculty and students took active part in the invention and patenting: a significant portion of patents was received in cooperation with students.

1980-s

The Department of Bridges turned into a true research center for highway roads. A lot of special attention was paid to the investigation of city and district bridges; scrupulous watch was focused on the reliability of historical bridges and their maintenance: over 200 bridges had been tested. Major efforts were drawn to the improvement of bridge structures, materials, introduction of new materials and high-resistance steels. Monographs on the improvement of structures and analysis of steel and reinforced concrete bridges and the use of high-yield-point steels in bridge structures were published by the department’s specialists. 

1990-s

Outstanding work on the reconstruction of the departments and their facilities was carried out in the 1990s. New teaching methods were introduced and relations with construction companies strengthened. The Department of Bridges was using bridges in St. Petersburg and Northwest Russia as the base for training and exploration: over a thousand bridges had been investigated and tested, some of them not once. Students were taking an active part in this job. A big merit of both departments was that students’ diploma projects had always been executed on the basis of actual requests of production enterprises.

2013

The Department of Motor Roads and the Department of Bridges and Tunnels were merged into the Department of Motor Roads, Bridges and Tunnels. The new department got enhanced instrumental base and new facilities for training and practicing.

2018

The Department joined the Faculty of Civil Engineering. In a way, it got back to its initial space.

Faculties

  • Faculty of environmental engineering and municipal services
    Faculty of environmental engineering and municipal services
  • Faculty of automobile and road-building
    Faculty of automobile and road-building
  • Faculty of economics and management
    Faculty of economics and management
  • Faculty of architecture
    Faculty of architecture
  • Faculty of civil engineering
    Faculty of civil engineering
  • Faculty of forensic investigation and law in construction and transport
    Faculty of forensic investigation and law in construction and transport
Contact us:
Name:
e-mail:
Message:
Enter captcha: Refresh image

Refresh image