14 September 2020

Interdepartmental laboratory of the SPbGASU Faculty of Civil Engineering turned 120

The interdepartmental laboratory of the SPbGASU Faculty of Civil Engineering celebrates its 120th anniversary on September 14. 120 years ago, a mechanical laboratory and a testing center (station) were opened at the Institute of Civil Engineers, under direction of the famous teacher and scientist, the founder of scientific construction materials science, Viktor V. Evald. He also headed the country's first professorial department of construction materials, and in 1904-1905 worked as the director of the Institute of Geological Sciences

Оборудование в лаборатории петербургского ГАСУ

One of the leading laboratories in St. Petersburg

Today, the interdepartmental laboratory of the SPbGASU Faculty of Civil Engineering is one of the leading laboratories in St. Petersburg. Practically any materials can be tested here: metals, concrete, wood, composites, polymers, as well as structures made of them. This is the only laboratory in the city where you can carry out the entire cycle of wood testing. In addition, cyclic tests are carried out here on a custom-made 200-ton press. According to the head of the laboratory, Director of the Center for Mechanical Testing of Construction Structures Sergey Bezpalchuk, these tests are in great demand: the press is involved both in the educational process and in scientific research.

The interdepartmental laboratory of the Faculty of Civil Engineering unites the laboratory of mechanical tests, asphalt concrete, reinforced concrete structures, strength materials, 3D modeling and printing. Curricula of almost all SPbGASU students includes laboratory work here, where classes are run about 600 hours per year.



In addition, the laboratory participates in interuniversity projects. Here, graduate students from St. Petersburg State University, St. Petersburg Polytechnic University, Baltic State Technical University and other universities conduct their research.

✔ On the basis of the interdepartmental laboratory of the Faculty of Civil Engineering, the Center for Mechanical Testing of Building Structures was established and carries out commercial contracts.

“The center has been accredited by the Federal Accreditation Service. We have the most modern equipment. Sometimes scientists have to solve non-trivial problems, for example, at the SPbGASU Department of Reinforced Concrete and Masonry Constructions.

✔ ✔ The oldest equipment in the laboratory is a pile driver, with which drop-weight tests are carried out. The pile driver is completely mechanical and, although built in 1912, is in excellent condition. During the Great Patriotic War, armor was tested on it, and in our time, tests were successfully carried out for Russian Railways.

Congratulations to the interdepartmental laboratory of the Faculty of Civil Engineering, SPbGASU on its anniversary and wish you further success!


Text: Tatyana Petrova

✔ Learn more about the SPbGASU Testing Center

Faculties

  • Faculty of environmental engineering and municipal services
    Faculty of environmental engineering and municipal services
  • Faculty of automobile and road-building
    Faculty of automobile and road-building
  • Faculty of economics and management
    Faculty of economics and management
  • Faculty of architecture
    Faculty of architecture
  • Faculty of civil engineering
    Faculty of civil engineering
  • Faculty of forensic investigation and law in construction and transport
    Faculty of forensic investigation and law in construction and transport
Contact us:
Name:
e-mail:
Message:
Enter captcha: Refresh image

Refresh image